Manage a shared logical framework, results framework or other type of performance framework.Read More
This App is designed to create and manage a list of suppliers. Users may set up new contracts for suppliers or provide feedback on existing contracts. Users can also request authorisation for payment to a supplier, which can be reconciled against a project budget.
How does it work?
Registering a new supplier
Any user with the Supplier Manager role can add or update a supplier profile. Once registered they can then assign roles to other users. These can be customised, but typically enable project teams to set up new contracts, provide feedback and request approval for supplier payments. A separate role for finance allows them to review and approve payment requests.
The App includes a form to register one or more contracts for each supplier. These allow you to upload the actual signed contract (or link to it) and enter the agreed payment schedule and milestones.
Once a contract has been completed, the team can complete a brief feedback form. This helps track supplier performance and can be incorporated back into procurement procedures.
Project staff can request pre-approval for a supplier payment. This can be integrated with the Projects App to link the payment request to the project budget and budget line. Payment requests go to finance for review, where they can be approved or referred back. Once approved the budget is updated to show that the funds have been committed to this payment.
Once the supplier has delivered the project staff may then request that a payment be made to the supplier. This alerts finance, who may then update the payment to reflect that it has been made. At this time the budget is again updated to show that the funds have now been spent.
The App integrates with the Reports App. Data related to suppliers, contracts, feedback or payments may be aggregated and exported to XLS or PDF. Common reports include:
- Budget reconciliation report - this shows a log of all transactions, along with budget codes to help reconcile against your accounting system
- Project budget report - a summary of your project budget and funds available
- Consolidated supplier feedback - A consolidated list of feedback across all suppliers
This App helps register and manage a list of people involved in a project or programme. The App checks for duplicates as people are added to the list. People registered on the App can be linked to the Project Tracking App.
How does it work?
The Participant App is web based and runs on smart phones and computers via your browser. The App works in the following way.
Registering a new person
The participant manager role can register a profile for a new person. The App can run a duplicate check using an ID number or other identifiers. This avoids duplicate profiles.
Following is a screenshot of the form to add a new participant. This can be customised to fit your needs.
Updating a person
The same role may also update people registered on the App.
The App can be extended to collect data related to the person. This could be a form recording interactions with the person, a survey or additional demographic data.
Data from the Participants App is available in the Reports App. You can combine data on the person with data from other Apps to which they are linked.
Collect outcomes across a large programme, validate them and aggregate into custom reports
Collect outcomes across a large programme
Create separate profiles for each of your partners, projects or teams. Assign access to record outcomes to different people for each profile
New outcomes follow a series of steps as they are validated and harvested. Choose who will validate for each partner or project. Validators get an email when a new outcome is waiting for them.
Aggregate into custom reports
Create one or more reports that extract specific data from your outcomes. Export data to Excel or PDF instantly. Or create a JSON feed to import to another data analysis or visualisation tool.
New to outcome harvesting?
Better Evaluation suggests that outcome harvesting is "useful in complex situations when it is not possible to define concretely most of what an intervention aims to achieve, or even, what specific actions will be taken over a multi-year period." See their guide for more background on this approach.
We currently have one version of the Outcome Harvesting App available that has been co-created with Christian Aid. Other versions are being configured with different organisations and will be made available if they choose to share them with others.
How does it work?
The Christian Aid version of the App can be adopted into your BetterData community. BetterData is web based and runs on smart phones and computers via the Google Chrome browser. The App works in the following way:
- View a list of existing profiles - Click on the App to see profiles that have already been created. People can only access profiles where they have been assigned a role.
- Manage App level roles - The Outcome Administrator role has access to all profiles. They may add or remove profiles and assign people profile level roles.
- Creating new profiles - People with the Outcome Administrator role can add profiles for new partners.
- Managing profile level roles - Once you’ve created a new profile, select which people may harvest or validate new outcomes. There is also a guest role for view only access. Profiles for which you have a role will include a shortcut link on the left navigation for easy access.
- Adding a new outcome - You can add a new outcome inside the profile for a partner. The harvest view of the form shows only the fields necessary for this step. The form checks that required fields are completed before it allows you to send for validation.
- Validating an outcome - Once a new outcome has been added, the user with the Validator role gets a notification - within BetterData and via email. When validating an outcome they must decide if the information provided is sufficient. They are also prompted to select which programme indicator the outcome best relates too.
- Analyse outcomes - When you are ready, the analysis step allows you to select the significance and contribution level for each outcome. These fields are hidden until you start the analysis step.
- Audit trail - Once you’ve completed all the steps for an outcome it is locked. An Outcome Administrator may re-start the workflow at the beginning, if changes need to be made. A full audit trail is kept of which person completed each step.
- Translations - The App is available in English, Spanish and Portuguese. Use the language switcher to select your preferred language.
- Data aggregation - Use the Reports App to create your own reports. Reports can combine data from any field in the partner and outcome forms. See the Reports App for a full description of the options available.
- Work offline - All BetterData Apps will continue to work should your Internet fail. Any outcomes you save while offline will synchronise to the server when your connection is back again.
Who is using it?
We have worked with Saferworld, Christian Aid, Oxfam Novib and SNV to co-create the App. Saferworld has used an earlier version for several years. Christian Aid began using the App in 2017. Oxfam Novib and SNV plan to use it in 2018.
Ready to get started?
Would you like a guided demo of the OH App? Get in touch and we'll schedule a Skype or Zoom call to take you through it. We also offer consultancy to customise the App if you need to change things.
We have several options to fit different circumstances. All include unlimited users and a fair usage policy on the number of outcomes you store.
Just the basics
The basic package is designed to get you started within a few days at an affordable price. This includes:
- Creating your own BetterData community (this can be used to adopt other Apps too)
- Adding your logo
- Adopting the Outcome Harvesting App
- Customising the following lists in the App:
- Actor categories
- Programme objectives
- Programme indicators
- Partner types
- Significance levels
- Contribution levels
- Creating two reports for you (you select which fields to include in each report and what filters apply)
Price - $1000 for set-up plus $1000 a year (includes hosting and backups)
Advanced on boarding allows you to customise the App however you like. This includes integrating it with other Apps (for example project tracking). Examples of things covered in advanced on-boarding include:
- Modifying the partner or outcome forms
- Modifying the workflow
- Translating the App into additional languages
A customisation project may take only a few days, depending on what you want to change.
Price - $800 per day
All in one
If you're working on a large programme and need peace of mind, we can also offer a fixed cost package that covers everything you need. This includes:
Hosting and daily backups
Unlimited support (for practical reasons we need to communicate with one or two people)
- Maintenance (updates to ensure compatibility as we make enhancements to the BetterData platform)
- Free upgrades as they become available
- 4 days of training or consultancy a year
Price - $6000 a year
Additional support and training available at $100 per hour.